Kinder/Chapter 7: Represent, Count, and Write 11 to 19
Thoughts on Lessons:
- Tools: 2-colored counters, Unifix Cubes, ten-frames, double ten-frame, number line, number bead string, number strip
- Strategies: Take from, count back, 10 plus some more
- Focus: Emphasis on 10 plus some more to make teen numbers
- Stage 3 Fluencies:
- counting out objects (0 – 19)
- reading the written words for numbers
- Stage 4 Fluencies:
- recognizing numbers 0 – 19
- writing numbers 0 – 19 when asked verbally
- Show What You Know: We need to evaluate the Stage 4 Fluencies prior to this unit.
- Combine Lessons 7.1 – 7.5: Focus on the fact that a teen number is 10 ones and some more. Make Centers
- Days 1 – 3: Saying, Recognizing and Building Numbers (each group builds a different number, e.g., Group A build 10, 11, then 12…they rotate to each center. At each center they say the amount, build it with a variety of objects and pick the cards that have the center amount on it. Use physical movement, e.g., students hop a specific amount and you ask, “What take more time to hop 11 or 15? Use matching activities.
- Day 4: Add in writing numbers
- Day 5: Make addition equations.
- Lesson 7.6: Infuse using one of the problem solving ideas per day. Do not teach all at once. Revisit and rework all through unit.
- Do a Number Talk about teen numbers.
- Combine Lessons 7.7 – 7.10: Repeat structure for lessons 7.1 – 7.5.
- End-0f-Unit Exam: Also redo the formative assessment that was done at the beginning.