Focus: Planning for problem solving.
Data: June Instructional
- Problem of the Day vs. Problem of the Week
- Algebrafy Problems – Teacher Contributions
- Mathematical Sketch Blog
- VoiceThread, Sample VoiceThread
- Developing a Plan for Problem Solving Online Tool
- Conversation Skills Poster – General
- Conversation Skills Poster – Math
- Sample Year-Long Plan:
- Overall Year-Long Plan Template (Google Doc, copy before editing)
- Action Plan Template (Google Sheets, copy before editing)
- P.S. 103 Overall Year-Long Plan for Problem Solving, K, Grade 1, Grade 2 – 5
- P.S. 103 Year-Long Plan for Problem Solving Action Plan
- P.S. 307Bx – Copy of Problem Solving Template
Released Items 2017:
2017 Revised Standards:
- Grade 5 (adopted), Grade 5 (recommendations)
- Grade 4 (adopted), Grade 4 (recommendations)
- Grade 3 (adopted), Grade 3 (recommendations)
- Grade 2 (adopted), Grade 2 (recommendations)
- Grade 1 (adopted), Grade 1 (recommendations)
- Grade K (adopted), Grade K (recommendations)
- Pre-Kindergarten (adopted)
Resources for Problem Solving:
- K-5 Math Teaching Resources (http://www.k-
5mathteachingresources.com/ 1st-grade-number-activities. html) Use to be all free, but still has samples. Click around for K and 2nd. Standard close-ended word problems.
- North Carolina Problem Solving Decks (http://maccss.ncdpi.
wikispaces.net/Problem+ Solving+Decks) Word problems, but more riddles and thinking and building logical reasoning
- Thinking Blocks (http://www.mathplayground.
com/thinkingblocks.html) Has apps that can be downloaded for offline use. Easy to use, but takes a minute to learn how to use and navigate. Can be set up in advance for students. Look specifically at Thinking Blocks Jr and Modeling Tool.
- I would be remiss if I did not mention Illustrative Mathematics tasks (illustrativemathematics.org)
- Greg Tang Word Problem Generator (http://gregtangmath.com/
wordproblems) close-ended word problems. You can select the problem type and number range.
- Illustrative Mathematics
- Online-Utility Tool
- Common Core Problem Types, pg. 88 – 89
- Newman Error Analysis Interview
- Developing an Algebra Eyes and Ears (article)
- What Works Clearinghouse:
- Released NYS Exams Items